März 14, 2011
TV Show Meme
from kalafudra, because obviously.
What TV shows do you currently watch?
Older Shows That I’m Finally Getting Around to Watching
None. Zero. Zilch. No idea why. But my „Must Watch“-list has a few items on it:
– Farscape (becasue, really, how have I not watched that before?)
– The Wire
– Battlestar Galactica (I’ve been keeping that as something of a treat for myself ^^)
– several animes (Death Note, Chrono Crusade, Noir, Madlax, …)
– I imagine SG:U will fall into this category…unless I decide not to watch it at all, because the pilot was so utterly underwhelming.
Guilty Pleasure Shows
–Hawaii Five-0. Yes, I watch that. It gives me pleasure because it’s so utterly ridiculous in such an earnest way. They’re taking themselves so very seriously, I can’t help but root for them.
– the entire Shonda Rhymes oeuvre (Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Off the Map) – I watch Grey’s because I’ve somhow become invested in the characters and in what’s going to happen. Why I watch the others, I have no idea…but they are ridiculously entertaining (if not always on purpose).
– Fairly Legal. So, I admit, I spend a lot of this show perving at Sarah Shahi. And at shirtless Michael Trucco. The rest of the time is spent wondering how the women in this show walk IN THOSE RIDICULOUS SHOES, hoping for more RDA screen time, enjoying Leo the superpowered PA, and laughing my ass off at the show’s portrayal of mediation. So yes, I look forward to this one every single week ^_^ (I’m also enjoying her gimmicky phone ringtones a lot more than I should ^^)
– American Idol. Um. yeah. I usually only watch the castings, because those are genuinely interesting, but all of a sudden I’m rooting for people and all is lost. So…um…yeah.
Shows That Are Really, Really Awesome
– Castle. I love it. Everything about it. I love that it’s an original, heartwarming show that will reference Firefly and Jules Verne and have everyone sing „Piano Man“ for no reason other than that they can. Also, Nathan Fillion.
– NCIS. What can you do? Hands down the best old-fashioned procedural out there. They have gotten damn good at what they do. I know what I want to see when I put it on, and I can be certain that I’ll get it every single week.
– Criminal Minds. Again, a show that knows what it’s doing and happens to be very, very good at it. Some of the best characters currently on TV, plus an amount of gore that is just this side of too much for my feeble stomach. And the guest stars – let me tell you, these people are EVIL in their use of guest stars.
– The Chicago Code. Best of the new shows. I cared about the characters within about 5 minutes, and I love the gusto with which Delroy Lindo attacks his role as Alderman Gibbons. I’m still a bit worried about this one, because I felt exactly the same about Blue Bloods when it started, and stopped watching it about 5 eps in because it was so much easier to watch something less demanding instead. Also, since the shows are very similar, it would be interesting to compare them.
– 10 O’Clock Live. A weekly comedy/fake news programme on the UKs Channel 4 starring Charlie Booker (yay!!!), David Mitchell (yay!!!), Jimmy Carr (surprisingly not bleh) and Lauren Laverne (also surprisingly yay). It’s funny, it’s unashamedly partial, and it doesn’t assume its audience is stupid. As an additional bonus, it helps me keep up with politics in the UK, which is always a bonus. Oh, I love it.
Shows That I Continue to Watch Though I Don’t Really Know Why
– CSI. I watch procedurals. I like them. Having said that, this is the best written and least gimmicky in a massive pile of Bruckheimer-mediocrity. You can sort of tell that work went into it, and that original work (ie characters you don’t want to slap all the time) is solid. But it suffers from the same plot-problems as its siblings. I watch it out of habit, simply because it exists.
– CSI:NY. See above, although there is more tech-gimmick silliness there. There’s nothing about the show that particularly bothers me, and nothing I’m particularly enthusiastic about.
– Harry’s Law. I want to like this so much more than I actually do.
– NCIS:LA. Oh, I dunno….I used to love it for the blatant pandering to shallow slashers like myself, if for very little else. But they’ve been keeping the protagonists apart for the last few weeks, and my enjoyment has consequently faded. I’m waiting for this to get better, I really am.
– Criminal Minds:Suspect Behaviour. This cast…ooooh, this cast. It is awesome. What they do with it is so incredibly not. A strange premise (how are they supposed to be different from the other team, exactly?), unengaging characters (it’s Jeneane Garofalo, people – how did you make her boring???), godawful scripts (really? That’s what you let Forest Whittaker say? How EVIL are you?), truly bizarre production decisions (a rundown gym with shitty lighting as their HQ? What are these people? The A-Team?!?)…I watch this one out of loyalty to the original show, love for Penelope Garcia, and admiration/pity for the actors more than anything else.
– Amazing Race. How did I not know this existed until 3 weeks ago? I don’t care who these people are or how they feel about, well, anything, but the concept is awesome.
– The Daily Show. / The Colbert Report. I watch the first half of both shows. Don’t care much for the interviews, but the bits before are sometimes very funny, and sometimes very, very wrong – either way, they get a reaction from me, which is more than I can say for either of the CSIs I watch.
Current Shows That I’ve Been Meaning to Start Watching
Mad Men. In Treatment. Fringe (yeah, I know, I know). The Sarah Jane Adventures.
Currently On Break, But Awaited
Eureka. Warehouse 13. Haven. Leverage. True Blood. Doctor Who. Torchwood. Lie to Me. Sherlock. Rizzoli & Isles. QI.
BONUS CATEGORY: Would Watch It If I Could Get It
University Challenge. Have I Got News For You. Mock the Week. Mastermind.
Looking Forward To
Game of Thrones. Duh.