Januar 23, 2010
Martial Arts Fight Scenes
10. Mortal Kombat – Johnny Cage vs Scorpion
Yes, really, because it’s wonderfully, unashamedly trashy. And because the second part looks like an actual video game, where both fighters are controlled by players like myself, who just hit buttons randomly as quickly as they can.
9. The Way of the Dragon – Colt vs Dragon
Bruce Lee beats up Chuck Norris. In the actual Collosseum. Chesthair is pulled. And there’s a kitten.
8. Ryan vs Dorkman
No comment needed.
7. The Princess Bride – Chatty Duel
Because just because you’re fighting to the death doesn’t mean you can’t be civil.
6. V for Vendetta – Final Fight
Because you have to have Hugo.
5. Grosse Pointe Blank – Fight Scene
It’s John Cusack. Kicking ass. I rest my case.
4. The Matrix Reloaded – Chateau Fight Scene
No offense to the playground fight, but this scene is just so much better in every way (except for it’s distinct lack of Hugo Weaving).
3. Bourne Identity – Jason Bourne vs Hitman in Paris
Because, for lack of a better word, it looks realistic. No dancing, no unnecessary pirouettes, just two very well-trained men beating the shit out of each other.
2. Ong Bak – Tony Jaa at the Fight Club
It’s just the nagging suspicion that Tony Jaa really is that much better than everybody else, and that choreography exists purely to keep the stuntmen alive.
1. Forbidden Kingdom – Silent Monk vs Lu Yan
It has Jet Li *and* Jackie Chan. And it’s funny. I love it. If I had been the director, I’d have made them repeat it over and over, because they’re awesome, and because I could have ^_^